Virtual Paralegal Training Center


Training, Networking & Resources    


Obtaining Your Business EIN Number

03 Jun 2020 2:01 PM | Cordina Charvis (Administrator)

If you decide to incorporate your business, the next step would be to obtain an EIN number otherwise known as your Federal Tax ID Number. 

It is like a person’s social security number and is used by the IRS to identify your business.

Your business needs a federal tax ID number if it does any of the following:

  • §  Pays employees
  • §  Operates as a corporation of partnership
  • 1)    If you use an attorney or accountant to incorporate your business, they will likely obtain your EIN number for you.
  • 2)    If you use a servicing company such as, CT Corporation, CSC or Legal Zoom, they can also assist you with obtaining your EIN Number for an additional cost.

However, you can obtain your EIN Number for free by requesting it directly from the IRS.  Here are your options:

You may apply online by completing the online application or you can print the application, fill it out and fax or mail it to the IRS. Go to the IRS website for a copy of the application (Form SS-4).

Mail to: Internal Revenue Service

Attn: EIN Operation

Cincinnati, OH 45999

Fax: (855) 641-6935

  • a.    You may apply by telephone at (800) 829-4933, Monday’s through Fridays between the hours of 7am – 7pm.
  • b.    Be sure to have your incorporation documents handy; you will need them to assist you with completing the application. Go to the IRS website for a copy of the application (Form SS-4).

©Virtual Paralegal Training Center™

Training, Networking & Resources (TNR)

Subscribe to virtual paralegal newsletter

Powered by Wild Apricot. Try our all-in-one platform for easy membership management