Choosing your business name is one of the most important steps in launching your virtual paralegal business. Your business name will have an impact on how your clients’ view you and it reflects your brand identity.
It is very tempting to create unique names that may be suitable for hobbies or other businesses and forget the rules and expectations of the legal industry.
I must admit that I am guilty of several ‘don’ts’ when creating my business name.
Like most eager entrepreneur, I wanted to be unique and standout among my competitors, so I named my business “Evolution Parajuristes” – Paralegal in French. This has caused me some embarrassment when I could not properly pronounce the name of my firm.
My clients also had some difficulty spelling and pronouncing my business name.
This was evident when they tried to send me emails that bounced back and when they misspelled my business name on checks. I am sure it has also affected my referral services.
Whenever a client refers someone to my firm, it is usually to one of our paralegals and not the “firm”. Personal referrals are great, but it did not help much when I was trying to develop my business brand.
However, I have managed to do a few things right when choosing my business name.
1) I kept the name short.
2) The name provides information about the services that I provide.
3) My primary practice areas are corporate and compliance, but my business name allow me to expand in other areas without alteration or changing the name…again.
To correct my mistake, I filed a DBA (“Doing Business As”) that allow me to operate my business under the English version “Evolution Paralegals”; lucky for me it was still available both on the state level as well as a domain.
My mistake has costs me in several ways:
- I had to reprint all my marketing materials;
- I had to purchase a new domain and change my email address;
- The cost of registering the DBA; and
- Updating my website among other things.
Here is a checklist that experts believe should be considered when creating your business name.