Standard Office Procedures (SOPs) is a system of written documents setting out procedures for all aspects of your business. SOPs are an important tool for your business to ensure that everyone in the company is following the same procedure and performing tasks consistently and correctly.
Therefore, helping towards a smooth-running company. Every virtual paralegal business should include the standard office procedures of a successful business.
- Greet your clients with a smile; which means being aware of your tone when speaking or emailing your clients.
- Explain your services clearly to your clients.
- Treat all clients with dignity and respect.
- Always give your clients accurate, professional and timely work.
- Keep your clients updated on their projects even if nothing has happened since your last update.
- Send your clients texts or emails when having difficulty reaching them by telephone. Most lawyers spend their day in court or in meetings.
- Let your clients know when you will not be available. For example, if you are going to be out of the country let your clients know and tell them how and when you will be available.
- Keep hard copies or online copies of all clients’ correspondence.
- Clients’ texts, emails and phone calls must be returned within 24 hours. Client’s urgent calls and emails must be responded to immediately.
- Notify your clients of potential project delays within a reasonable time frame.
- Discuss with your clients your procedure for projects that are completed. For example, do you delete projects from your database after they are completed?
- How do you handle originals? What are your document storage procedures?
- Discuss with your clients how does your Company accept payments?
- Do you accept full or partial payments upfront? Do you accept credit cards, checks or PayPal?
- Try to create a paperless office; keep all originals in a fire safe box and scan all client files to an online folder that is password protected.
- Always send your clients thank-you notes after their project is completed.
- Follow up with your clients after their files have been closed to find out how you can assist them further and keep them abreast of all your new services.
- It is your responsibility to convert your clients into repeat-clients and referral sources.